Workplaces are important in contributing to a positive self worth and mental wellness by contributing to the culture, productivity and deliverables of their organization. At times, stressors within the workplace can layer upon the challenges an employee may be dealing with outside of work. The employer often sees these negative consequences with an employee who is less engaged and productive at work, perhaps has increased absenteeism, and potentially enters into use of sick time or disability benefits.
Here are some statistics from the Mental Health Commission of Canada:
- 70% of Canadian employees are concerned about the psychological health and safety of their workplace
- 14% don’t think theirs is healthy or safe at all
- 30% of short- and long-term disability claims in Canada are attributed to mental health problems and illnesses
- The total cost from mental health problems to the Canadian economy exceeds $50 billion annually
- In 2011, mental health problems and illnesses among working adults in Canada cost employers more than $6 billion in lost productivity from absenteeism, presenteeism and turnover.
Additional mental health resources
At MedWorks, we have solutions to support your employee in the proactive management of their mental health through our Wellness Connect Digital Health platform.
Employees can access videos, guided programs and tips as well as connect within their workplace community. Access to psychologists, counsellors and social workers is available through the platform.
Should the employee already be in a disability claim or accommodation status, we offer support with our occupational health nurses and physicians as well as specialists through IME consultation.